What is CMS?
It is an English acronym that stands for Content Management System. Literal translation – Content Management System. For reference, content is the content of the site: pages, texts, pictures, banners, videos, etc.
People often call CMS with the words “engine”, “admin panel” or simply: “What is the site built on”.
The site, in its essence, is a collection of various Internet pages that are available at specific addresses on the Internet (URL). Imagine a typical advertising brochure, each page of which has its own Internet address. This will be the site.
To create such a brochure on the Internet, you can simply typeset each page separately and place it at the appropriate address. This can be done by designers, layout designers and programmers. However, in order to make changes to a page or create a new one, you will need to contact the specialists again. It is very inconvenient, time consuming and expensive.
To solve this problem, CMS was invented.
When developing a site based on CMS, the design of the pages is “pulled” on the selected system and further filling the site with content occurs from its administrative panel.
- Database storage, where information about users, site content and other important entities is located;
- A visual editor to help you create pages with ease.
- In addition to additional modules, you can add certain additional functions to the site.
What CMS systems Google recommends to use and why
Google experts often advise using the WordPress platform in their personal blogs and official guidelines.
Apparently, it has the maximum benefits in terms of Google’s core values. Initially, this CMS was positioned as an innovative blogging platform with high usability, but over time the functionality of the system has improved significantly – the system quickly became popular, and in all areas of site building.
You can pay attention to WordPress for the following reasons:
- This CMS is the most popular in the world, which in itself is already a good argument in favor of using it.
- Large selection of plugins, modules, widgets, galleries. The platform also supports the broadest multilingualism.
- No need for serious technical experience to work with the admin panel. What is the simplest CMS? Definitely WordPress.
- Of course, we are deliberately not talking about the simplest template engines, which are much simpler than her, but their capabilities are extremely limited, and an Internet business cannot be built on them.
- Good SEO customization options.
However, it is worth remembering that the system provides a large field for choice, so you may face a problem – how to use WordPress capabilities correctly. Only with proper customization of the settings will the WordPress system be really useful for your business.
Why is Content Management System important for business?
The Internet is a very dynamic environment that changes at a breakneck pace. As a result, within six months after the website was made for you, you will probably need to make important corrections to it, add new functions or change something significantly.
It is very good if you are confident that the site developer will support you throughout your life. However, very often it turns out differently. A freelancer can go into mud, a web design studio can go broke, and an agency can end the relationship with you. A lot of customers who have lost contact with the developer turn to us with this problem.
In such a situation, it is important to be able to find another contractor who can take care of your Internet asset.
How to choose a CMS for your website?
Technical details aside, there are three main factors to consider when choosing a CMS:
- The cost
The popularity of content management system (CMS) is the level of its prevalence in the world and, in particular, in Russia. From a business point of view, this is the most important criterion, since the more popular the CMS, the more programmers are familiar with it. If you choose a popular CMS, it means that in case of any disasters, you will always find a specialist who can support and improve your site.