With the rapid evolution of technology, there is an increasing demand for UI and UX design.
Currently, many graphic designers are focusing to switch their careers from graphic design to user interface or UI design roles. This is specifically due to high pay roles and more job satisfaction.
If you are a best Graphic Designer Washington DC and thinking to switch your role from graphic designer to UI or UX designer, then this particular guide will prove to be very helpful for you.
You can find here the most important tips to follow while switching from graphic design to user interface design.
Understanding The Similarities
A graphic designer is involved in effectively developing the overall layout as well as production design for different applications like brochures, advertisements, corporate reports, and magazines.
On the other hand, a UX or UI designer is associated with the process of acquiring as well as integrating a particular product. This includes different aspects of design, branding, functionality, and usability.
Differences Existing In Between Graphic Designers And UX/UI Designers
Graphic designers are involved in creating attractive layouts which effectively draw the consumer’s attention. So, they work both on the web as well as in print. They make use of computer software programs that can manipulate illustrations or photos.
Also, the layout of different elements into a design. Usually, they incorporate text elements into their designs. So, graphic designers tend to make certain decisions about the size, font as well as color of the text.
On the other hand, a UI designer focuses on working with the creative elements to make sure that the users enjoy interacting with a particular product. They make use of photo editing software or design capabilities to enhance or create products.
- Aesthetics: One of the great benefits of shifting from a graphic designer to a UI/UX designer is that they work on aesthetics. So, they focus on making things attractive.
- Problem-Solving: Both graphic designers, as well as UI/UX designers, have equal skills in creative thinking. They also focus on solving complex problems specifically through design.
- Design Skills: Graphic design involves using several design principles that can be specifically used on UX. Even the same software is used in this case.
- Emotions: Both the UI/UX designers and graphic designers are involved in creating an emotional connection to the users.
So, one of the biggest benefits that graphic designers will get by moving to the UX/UI design field is that they would gain the ability to make things attractive. In this way, a UX or UI designer adds to the aesthetics.
Good aesthetics plays a very important role in improving the overall product UX. Designers are greatly benefitted with the help of aesthetics. This aids them to converse with the company’s internal stakeholders.
Those shifting their career from graphic designing to UX or UI designing can implement both their graphic design as well as UX/UI skills to get the most out of any project.
Again, coming from a design background means that they are well aware of the latest trends and conventions in application or website designs. Not only that, but they also have a good understanding of the design terminology.
This means that a graphic designer can quickly adapt to UX or UI design roles than someone who belongs to a non-design background.
Understanding The UI/UX Design
This is considered to be the process of enhancing user satisfaction specifically with a product. So, this involves improving the desirability, accessibility as well as usability that is provided in the interaction with a product.
You can focus on applying the UX design process for designing an app, a website, a keyboard, a car, a phone, and a lot more.
Understanding The Process
A similar design thinking approach is involved in the process of UX or UI design. This consists of 5 basic phases as follows:
- User testing
- Common Mistakes
If you are a graphic designer Washington DC and thinking to switch your career to user interface design, then there are some of the common mistakes which you should avoid:
- The designers who have shifted their careers tend to follow pixel perfection specifically in their designs. Talking about the UX or UI design, it is mainly focused on the users.
- Graphic designers have to tend to back up with the help of visuals. But, each of the elements must have a definite purpose in the case of UX. But, that particular purpose should always be backed up with proper research.
- Architecture hugely matters in this aspect. If you do not focus on architecture, then it can result in a bad user experience.
Starting With A Blank Page
Most of the young designers develop the fear of starting with a blank page. Here are some of the important tips which you can start with:
Any designer whether they are graphic or UX designers should always stay updated with the latest trends.
- You should focus on challenging yourself to specifically redesign interfaces.
- Building up a rich mental library tends to play a very important role.
- Finally, you should always keep on practicing.
Enhancing Your Skills
You would be able to do this by opting for online UX or UI courses from top websites such as Lynda.com, udemy.com, and coursera.org.
Other than that, you should also focus on gaining a good understanding of prototyping. Talking about prototyping, this is considered to be a very important part of the design process.
It helps in the generation of feedback. Not only that, but it also shows how the product would function and look.
So, the above-discussed ones are considered to be some of the most important tips that you should focus on following while switching your career from graphic designer to UI or UX designer.
If you are determined to shift your career path from graphic designing to UI/UX designing, then don’t worry as you have taken an awesome decision. This is because it is not going to be as complex as you might assume. Just, some of the effective training is required to achieve your desired goals.
This will help you to be well-conversant with the main job performed by a UX or UI designer. After that, you would be able to apply some of those ideas to be successful in your existing role.
Whenever you feel, it is the right instance to switch your career, you can start networking as well as line up some interviews for your completely new role.
Want to hire UX or UI designer for your project? Then, you can easily find here by clicking on this link.